This blog is between sculptor/writer Bridgette Mongeon and those individuals that she mentors. If you are interested in a mentorship program with Bridgette Mongeon, contact her through her website.

Friday, June 5, 2015

ARTISTS- Giacometti

Let's get to know some artists- Our first artist is a painter and sculptor-
as you watch these videos tell me what you learn about him.

This first video is actually an animation- so an artist created this about another artist.
What do you assume about this artist by watching this animation?





Check out this Pinterest board on Giacometti

Here is another pinterest board on Gicacometti

Here is an art game that starts with Giacometti   If you find other artists in this game that you like feel free to look them up.

  • Look at the work in this video?  Do you think this is the type of work that Giacometti has always done? How has his work changed over his life time?  
  • Who is the artist?
  • Did they go by another name?
  • How do other's describe their work?  Just jot down terms that others might use to describe his work. look for terms like "contemporary, abstract, etc " 
  • When did they live? 
  • Where did he live? 
  • What is he known as? What other medium did he use? 
  • What is your favorite piece or pieces? 
  • Why do you like those pieces?
____________________________

I hesitate to put this video on this post, because I have not watched it. I need a time when I'm not working, can watch the video and learn about the man. I love watching videos about artists and hearing how they grew into their art, what they did and more information about them. I can't help but wonder is the animation above true. Maybe it is not at all true. It is after all an animation. Thank you Austin, I will be learning and enjoying this creative adventure right along with you. 
As I have time to watch this, I share my favorite images and we can talk about our favorites together. 
My favorite images from this video are...
The portrait found and 3:36 on the video.   


Some of the artwork I just don't get. I mean the figures in 8:24.  The couple?  
Looking at the work of say 1927 "the artist's father, seems so heavy compared to his later work. I wonder what made him go from this heaviness to the figures that we know as his work today. Video 11:05

I have a hard time getting through this long video and have to do it in pieces.  The narrator uses big words and for me... they blend together . 

I am however, reminded that I do like when artists title their pieces.  It lends an entirely new meaning to them. for example Woman with her throat cut. video 20:19 

Words I heard that described his work :
Cubist and Egyptian- self portrait 

Also noted: He was prolific ( created a lot of work in his lifetime)   More to come...

1 comment: